Tuesday 19 April 2011

Quick update on a series of events


Exhibit 1
It has been a while since I update my blog. I admit, indisputably, I have been slack. Many things or events have taken place since my last entry. Firstly, I graduated on the 28th March in Malaysia for my PhD (see exhibit 1). After my graduation, I travelled to Kuching (the capital city of Sarawak, east Malaysia) with mum, dad and Samantha. Kuching literally means cats in English. It was a great experience, despite some domestic dramas during the trip. We went to see orang utans (jungle men in Malay) (see exhibit 2). One social aspect of Kuching that I really like is the harmonious interaction or assimilation between the Muslims and non-Muslims, particularly when halal and non-halal hawkers are allowed to trade under one roof. This assimilation is rare, in fact not sanctioned, in many major cities of West Malaysia like Ipoh, Melaka, Penang, Kuala Lumpur etc.

Exhibit 2
 Whilst Kuala Lumpur is the capital city of Malaysia, its economic development does not necessarily reflect its social-cultural development, especially in regards to the assimilation of halal and non-halal food trading. Instead, the Government seems to actively discourage such assimilation by introducing laws and regulations. For instance, a Chinese food hawker who sells 'char siew' (BBQ pork in Cantonese) will not normally be allowed to set up a stall right opposite or next to a Malay food hawker who sells 'nasi lemak' (spicy coconut rice in Malay). That is why the segregation between halal and non-halal food traders is fairly common in the major cities of West Malaysia like Kuala Lumpur. If you don't believe me, please look around when you travel to Malaysia.


Exhibit 3
I have recently taken up some horse riding lessons. I have done two so far and one more to go. After the third one, which is on this Saturday, I will decide if I would continue with the lessons as they are not particularly cheap. Each lesson costs £35 and it lasts around an hour. I am, nevertheless, enjoying the experience. In my first lesson, I had a colt named Billy (see exhibit 3). In my second lesson, I had a gelding, also brown, named Dodger.
A new flatmate has moved into our place. His name is Hideo and, obviously from his name, he is Japanese. He apparently used to work as a kitchen hand at his grandmother's restaurant. Like other Japaneses, he is very polite and friendly. He also seems to be quite keen to cook for u as he has been stocking up cooking ingredients and seafood. Maybe, he is organising a 'Come Dine with Me' night so that we can judge his cooking skills.

There is currently a lectureship vacancy at my School, Lecturer in Marketing/Retail Marketing. I am keen to apply for this position, but I am concerned about my research publications. I need to have a chat with my Head of School to decide if I will proceed with the application.

No comments:

Post a Comment