Wednesday 23 March 2011

Getting back to blogging - a quick update

It has been a while since I update my blog. Life, both personal and working, has been full on. So many events have taken place. I do not know where to begin. Study wise, I have finally got my Doctorate degree. I have received the academic transcript, the completion letter, and a hard copy of my thesis from the University of Southern Queensland (Australia). The major event follows the completion of my degree is the graduation ceremony, which takes places on the 28th March. To top it up, I was invited, which I have accepted, to be the 2010 Valedictorian. I have three minutes to deliver my speech, which I have prepared and briefly rehearsed. It will focus on three key lessons that I have learnt from my PhD journey: be persistent in achieving your goals; be passionate with what you do; and be grateful of everyday we have and the people have rendered guidance and support to us. I will spend a week in Malaysia and travel to Kuching (the capital city of Sarawak) with mum, dad and Samantha after my graduation ceremony.


Work wise, things are going well. I have achieved most of my performance targets for 2010, except one which is the Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP). To achieve this, I need to submit a 7000-word reflective assignment on my teaching practice to the Centre for Educational and Academic Development (CEAD) by early May. If I pass this assignment, I will get my PGCAP. My teaching workloads are a lot more manageable and reasonable now. Initially I was put down to contribute to five modules, a mixture of undergraduate and postgraduate marketing modules. I was feeling overwhelmed and thus I sent a whinny email to my existing and soon-to-be Heads of Division. Both deemed my whining to be reasonable and thus have released me from one postgraduate module and also have reduced the proportion of my contribution for another postgraduate module. Both Heads are also looking into halving the number of my postgraduate supervisees by hiring an associate. At the moment, I have been allocated twelve students. I am really grateful of what the Heads are doing for me. They might fail to get an associate; I will still appreciate their intention and attempts.


I should head to the sack as it is already 2305. I should post a blog after my graduation ceremony and I will share some of my graduation photos as well. Buona notte (good night in Italian).

No comments:

Post a Comment