Thursday 5 May 2011

Managing my writing 'disease'

I thought once I have conquered my PhD, I could take a slower pace with my writing. I now realise that it is only a wishful thinking. Writing never stops after the conclusion of the PhD journey, not when one aims to succeed or excel as an academic. Writing is like the Never-ending Story in academia. Our promotion, job security, and eligibility for research grants hinge, largely and significantly, on our writing and publications. I took a few weeks off from writing between March and April; I now need to re-engage with it fast and aggressively. If I were to pass my probation and secure my lectureship promotion in August, not only do I need to write and publish two journal papers from my PhD, I also need to write a negotiated essay for Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP). I quite enjoy writing. However, every time I try to write, fear emerges. I seem to have writing-phobia. I cannot help or refrain myself from editing a sentence repeatedly before moving on to the next one. Sometimes, after several revision, I can still be discontent with the sentence. The editing process, hence, continues. I do wonder sometimes if I also have obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) for writing. Whether it is writing-phobia or OCD or some mix of both, it will not deter me from writing. Whilst I may not be able to remove my writing-phobia or OCD, I will do everything I can to learn to manage it. One way is to practise 'snack writing, which is to write a short narrative or blog regularly. This blog signifies my first step of managing my writing disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment