Thursday 13 May 2010

To tell or not to tell?

In my previous blog, I mentioned that I gave myself half-a-day off and visited the town centre. I went to the bank to collect my new, shiny bank card. After that, I went to my favourite, little cafe (Coffee Culture) to have a nice brunch. Something interesting happened. The incident began like this:

I arrived at the cafe and I did my usual routine. I went to the shelf and tried to choose a panini that I would have. At this moment, a group of Greek guys walked in and, unexpectedly, they just 'cut in' in front of me. Without saying 'excuse me', they just stood in front of me and blocked my 'eye contact' with the shelf and interrupted my decision making process. How rude was that? Luckily, I was in good mood. I didn't make a fuss to them. I thought 'they are young and, obviously, still have a lot to learn about manners'. 'Never mind' I said to myself. I waited patiently for them to finish their orders and then I placed mine. I ordered a small cup of Gingerbread latte and a chicken, bacon and tomato panini. If you ever came across with Gingerbread latte on a cafe's menu, please do try it. It is actually quite nice.

While waiting for my panini to be toasted, I went to find a seat with my gingerbread latte. Outside of the cafe. I sat down, tried to get comfortable and was waiting eagerly for my panini. Thinking of the chicken and bacon of the panini made me drooling. Besides I was quite hungry as I did not have any breakfast. I waited and waited, my panini never came. So, I went to the counter and checked with Waitress A. She looked at my receipt and apologised for the delay. Waitress B, who took my order, looked puzzled and, sort of, mumbled to her workmate that 'no, I toasted it'. I labelled the waitress by alphabets to highlight that there were two waitresses working at the cafe.

I went back to my table and, once again, waited patiently for my panini. It seemed that the waitress did deliver my 'first' panini, but to the wrong table. Guess which table she had delivered it to? The Greek guys. They obviously knew it was not their panini, and yet, they said nothing. They just let the panini sat on the table, while they were conversing with each other. No, they did not take a bite of the panini. But, why didn't they say something to the waitress?

If you were reading my blog, I have a question for you. Who was to be blamed for this panini incident? Was it the waitress? Was it the Greek guys? Were the Greek guys 'obligated' to inform the waitress about the unexpected delivery? Hypothetically, if one of the Greek guys did eat the panini, could the waitress charge him for it? When someone consumes a dish that is accidentally delivered to him or her, will you consider such act as 'stealing'? After all, he or she does not pay for the dish. As a conclusion to this blog, will you do if you receive a meal that you do not order at a cafe or restaurant? Say something? Or just eat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment