Monday 22 November 2010

No one to blame, but myself!

On the 21st November, I came home at around 1710 after visiting some friends in Newbury (Berkshire) over the weekend. Like usual, I went to my room to drop off my travel bag and netbook. At first, I did not notice anything unusual in my room. But, a few minutes later, I realised that my Lenovo laptop had disappeared from my study desk. The laptop was unplugged from the power cord and the mouse. I got a bit annoyed as I thought one of my flatmates might have borrowed my laptop without telling me. I would not mind lending my laptop to any of them. But, he or she should have asked for my permission or should have, at least, informed me. I 'hate' people borrowing my stuff without telling me.

Call me a control freak if you wish, but I would like to know who is borrowing what from me and, preferably, when the stuff will be returned. Harbouring my annoyance, I thought I would unpack my travel bag first before questioning the flatmate whom I suspected to have borrowed my laptop. When unpacking my travel bag, I found some coins it. As usual, I tended to 'transfer' the coins into my work bag so that I can use it to buy coffee or snacks at university. Right at this moment, I realised that my work bag has also gone missing. That is really bizarre! I doubted that any of my flatmates would have borrowed my work bag in addition to my Lenovo laptop. It did not take me long to realise that my room has been broken into. The burglar(s) must have entered my bedroom through one of the windows and taken the laptop and my work bag. Neither of the windows in my bedroom was shut and locked. I seldom shut my bedroom windows, an act which now proves to be unwise. My bedroom is facing the backyard garden and I often get breeze flowing into my room. For this reason, I like leaving my windows to catch the breeze.

Because of my carelessness for not locking the windows, I now have to pay for the price. That is, a burglar has entered into my bedroom and nicked my belongings (a Lenovo laptop and a brown canvass bag). In the bag, it also contained my staff card, office keys, and a digital audio recorder. I have reported the burglary to the police. An officer named Ed dropped by last night to take a statement. Another officer named Eddie came by this morning to undertake the forensic test. This afternoon I also received a call from another officer (I cannot remember his name) hoping to meet me at my residence to talk about crime prevention procedures. Unfortunately, I was unable to meet this officer as I was at university preparing my lecture for this Thursday. I wonder if he was called Ed or Eddie. Edward seems a popular name in the Surrey police department.

This burglary has provided me with a learning lesson. That is, unless you have a sensor alarm at your residence, you should never leave the windows unlocked when you go out or go away for the weekend. I just wish that the burglar will treat my Lenovo laptop well as it has been a very good laptop (it seldom breaks down) and it has travelled with me to many places (eg Australia, Malaysia, and Switzerland). I have had this laptop for many years. Goodbye Lenovo, may you rest in peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment